Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Co$t of Chasing Your Dream

I want 2 start off this post by saying that I'm not sharing this private information to be negative or doubtful of my capabilities in anyway. I'm all about positive, forward thinking, but in order to go forward we must know where we've been and learn from our mistakes, right? Plus, I've been feeling all reflective lately, not sure why.

In any case, I'm a meticulous record keeper when it comes to money ... probably because it's in such short supply for me. So, the other night I got the bright (or maybe not so bright) idea to figure exactly what SJG Entertainment has cost me financially since I started it in August 2001 with the very first recordings of 2 songs off of "The Virgin Poet". I also wanted to see how much I've made and to compare the two numbers. Here's the data I came up with in summary:

Income: $2664
Recording & Duplication Costs: $8605
Total Music Related Expenses including recording & duplication: $18068

Now, for a list of things I learned from studying these illuminating numbers:

1. SJG Entertainment thus far has not been the wisest investment. (No shit, right?)

2. I could have a brand new car or be debt free AND have money to spare had I not went into music.

3. I made more money with my music in 2005 than I did in 2002, 2003 and 2004 COMBINED. This leads me to believe that I'm finally just beginning to do some things right.

4. Given that half my music income from 2005 came from live performances and given that I only had 3 performances in 2005 (well ... 4, but we won't count the debacle that was my April date at the Royal), I think it stands to reason that I need to focus more of my attention on getting gigs. WAY more gigs!

5. I apparently have more masturbatory impulses than I care to admit.

6. With the money I've spent on recording and distribution, I could have just about paid for my own home - made studio.

7. This music dream is indeed costly, however, I wouldn't trade the experiences, the knowledge or the journey that I've had for the past four years for the money I've spent so far - all 18 grand of it. In short, it's been worth it to me because I AM chasing my dream and I know that if I am persistent, diligent and smart about the way I approach the next few years, it will eventually pay off ... perhaps not in money, but I'm beginning to learn that money is far from being the most important of things.

"Maybe U get what U wanted, maybe U stumble upon it, everything U've ever wanted in a permanent state." - Coldplay, White Shadows

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home